The action of placing one card on top of another in a pile. There are many different ways of building. The most common methods of building are:
• by suit - only cards of the same suit (such as hearts) placed on one another. This is the most restrictive of the common methods of building.
• by color - only cards of the same color (such as red) placed on one another.
• by alternate color - a red card only on a black card or a black card only on a red card. (also called by opposite color).
• by any suit but the same - only cards of different suit (such as spades on diamonds) placed on one another.
• Up in sequence - placing a card on the next lower card in rank, such as a Five on a Four.
• Down in sequence - placing a card on the next higher card in rank, such as a Jack on a Queen.
These methods of building, and others, can be combined together, for example, building a pile up in sequence by suit.